Friday, April 22, 2011

Matt Costa

Artists like Lady Gaga and Kesha may be ruling the charts these days but there’s still great music to be found.  Sometimes you may have to dig deep, but if you do you might uncover a gem like Matt Costa.  Matt is a 28 year old singer/songwriter from Huntington Beach. CA.   He’s a former skateboarder that turned to music after an injury kept him from the sport.  He picked up a guitar, started writing songs and never looked back.  He’s signed to Jack Johnson’s record label and has toured with Johnson as well as other artists.  Matt’s style of Folk Rock has connected well to audiences, especially overseas in countries such as Australia and New Zealand.  His latest album was released September 21, 2010 and he’s currently working on a new record. You can catch him at the Grey Eagle in Asheville on April 30th.  I recently had the chance to interview Matt before his upcoming show in the area.

What made you decide to make the switch from skateboarding to music?

I HURT MYSELF SKATEBOARDING AND COULDN’T SKATE FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS.  DURING THAT TIME I STARTED LEARNING SONGS AND PLAYING MORE MUSIC.  MY UNCLE HAD GIVEN ME SOME OLD RECORDS TO LEARN FROM, IT WASN’T A CONSCIOUS DECISION TO MAKE THE SWITCH TO MUSIC AND I REALLY DIDN’T REALIZE IT UNTIL I WAS TOO FAR GONE.

Who are your biggest musical influences?

I’M REALLY DRAWN TO OLD ENGLISH FOLK BALLADS AND THEIR TWIST ON THE BLUES.  I THINK A LOT OF THAT MUSIC IS PLEASANTLY UNDERSTATED, THERE IS SOMETHING DEEPLY HAUNTING ABOUT IT.  OTHER THAN THAT, I’M REALLY INTO ROLAND KIRK AND DOC WATSON.

What's it been like being signed to Jack Johnson's label and hanging out with those guys?

IT’S BEEN INTERESTING, I’VE BEEN LUCKY OVER THE YEARS TO BE ABLE TO TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD AND MEET DIFFERENT SONGWRITERS.  I WISH EVERYONE COULD SEE THE SIDE OF THE BRUSHFIRE ARTISTS THAT I HAVE, THEY ARE ALL REALLY CREATIVE AND PASSIONATE PEOPLE.

What can we expect from you musically in the future?

I’M WORKING ON A NEW RECORD AND ALSO WRITING SONGS FOR AN UPCOMING ALLEN GINSBERG INSPIRED RECORD THAT WILL BE A COLLABORATION WITH OTHER ARTISTS.

 How do you feel about being defined as a folk rock singer?

I LIKE IT, IT MAKES IT EASIER TO WRITE ‘FOLK ROCK’ SONGS.

Have you been to Asheville before and if so how do you like the city?

MY MEMORY’S A BIT HAZY BUT I REMEMBER MOLES IN THE GROUND AND LIZARDS AT THE SPRING, I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO BEING BACK.  THANKS!


Check out www.MattCosta.com for more info

No comments:

Post a Comment